As has often been the case with kiddos who come into our home from foster care, their palette is shaped by sugar & processed foods & their bellies & minds suffer all the more as a result. It's hard for them to focus, blood sugar & mood are all over the place, and the power struggle is real.
No judgement here.
When Sweet moved in, he was a tiger of a 2 year old. He had a lot of health stuff going on that impacted his skin, hair, tummy & his overall development. We worked diligently to untangle the whole of it. Records were spotty & info shared with us was pretty sparse. He was also in a daycare from very early in the morning to early evening, so his diet & his people were all over the place. We didn't want to blast his gut but we did want to reset it & shape his pallet for life in a healthier direction. Enter: The kale smoothie.
We experimented with a few iterations on this & in our house, this is one of the few things I "cook." I make a double batch, about 8 cups or 1/2 a gallon so it lasts to days & serves all of us. We top it with omega swirl. I consider it a fierce combo & up the protein for a post-workout recovery meal as well as a daily dish. 2 year old Sweet started drinking it about a week into his life with us & up until this summer, nearly one cup every single day.
This past week we added ice chips & vitamin D drops to the mix (dubbed croup soup) to feed Tiny while he battles a megs sore throat.
Below is is the recipe I use to make 8 cups. Add or remove water/almond milk for desired thickness. Enjoy!
Chocolate Kale Smoothie (dairy & gluten free)
Serving size: 8 cups
- 1 avocado (adds thickness)
- 2 cups almond milk
- 1 cup water
- 3 medjool dates (to sweeten the deal)
- 2 bananas
- 2 tbsp local bee pollen
- 1-2 scoops chocolate protein powder
- 2 tbsp cacao powder
- 3 stalks of crisp kale (leaves only)
- Blend liquids & kale until puréed. Kids (and me!) hate the chunks, otherwise.
- Add remaining ingredients; powder stuff first, then the thicker stuff. Blend until smooth & to desired thickness.
- Serve with fancy omega swirl designs on top (the man with the yellow hat for the overzealous, simple stars for the rest of us).